Monday, February 24, 2014

Extra Blog: Palawan

The place in Palawan that we were situated in was a compound itself, and so it was a very homy atmosphere the whole time we were there. I think the most notable thing about Palawan was my last case, which really reaffirmed my thoughts about going into the medical field. It was the last case I did on the last day we were there, it was a thyroidectomy, and after assisting in small parts throughout the case, I was given the opportunity to close up the initial incision. Since it was a deep cut, there were two sets of sutures necessary to close the wound, the first was the re attachment of the fatty layer, which was a sub Q uninterrupted, which was easy enough as aesthetics were not an issue here, the second set however, the "hollywood stitch", required much more patience and accuracy. The second set took a little longer, but by the end of it I knew from what people were telling me about my work that I do have a talent for this field, and while I have no picture evidence, there really wouldn't be anything to capture, because you would not be able to tell there was an incision in the first place!

No comments:

Post a Comment